Seeing kopia connect crash having large number of epochs

Well it worked on the initial setup for me with the latest build - then it stopped connecting after rebooting the repository server once. And here you are having these issues on multiple clients … not sure if I’d have the patience to stick trying … that again.

And there are way bigger repos than mine, so I can’t imagine that the number of snapshots could break things here.

This puzzles me too … but you can easily throw any amount of movie collections towards something like Kopia - so that itself is no real flag as how reliable it is in reality.

For example my use case does introduce a Server solution like the Repository Server - they could all be using Rclone and S3 → that would offload a big chunk of stability on the Server side towards those solutions (until you have to restore e.g.).

By technical theory it all sounds like Kopia could be something great - the code and tests didn’t look to bad too … and likely early experience wasn’t to bad too … maybe there’s a lack of attention or others just don’t bother?

When I moved to test it (kopia 0.14.1) I immediately uncovered bad (=horrible) documentation, even on command-line, broken connect, non-streamlined commandline-arguments some weird design decisions and maybe an overly complex system that just isn’t stable enought - speaking from experience that implies a lack of real world testing and practical sanity in summary - before versions are released.

(e.g. removing http support - given that every single reverse proxy does usually build on it by layering - one very simple example that works great in practice is for example restics rest-server)

That is ALL written without doing even a SINGLE snapshot - having no data at a fresh repository.

All in all if feels unpractical - and given I read about corruption and suffered the same connect errors without doing any snapshot / backup at all - that’s something really really off-turning (and I’m usually really subborn in trying to get shit running).

What I’m speaking about are these issues - all mentioning that they can’t even connect until they fix it on the file-system layer:

Maybe Kopia just isn’t there yet … not going into depth how the filesystem-corruption can happen e.g. bitrot - just that it seems really hacky and off not being able to work with a system that’s built to fight such issues by design (one would think).

Yet I’m still here … maybe these are just random errors … who knows. I’ll still follow a bit to see the experiences from others, and maybe try again …

1 Like