Add description / note to snapshot?

I am making snapshots from my windows machine as well as from WSL2 on that same machine to the same repository. The host and user are the same on WSL2 and Windows so it’s a bit tedious to identify which is which.

Is there any way to add a description to a snapshot that would be visible from kopiaUI?

Or maybe, can I force the host name when I run the snapshot from WSL (cli)?

You could simply override the user name(s) and have the snapshots separated that way.

1 Like

Excellent idea, I shall do that :-). I’ll check this evening when I’m back if I can do this retroactively on my existing snapshot or if I need to delete and do again with a new username.

I don’t think, that you can modify the previous snapshots and move them to another user, so I’d just create a new repo user and use that for the forthcoming snapshots of that particular source. This way, Kopia will not have to upload all the data again.

If anyone comes here facing a similar issue, instead of forcing the user, it is also possible to force the hostname. This has to be done when connecting to the repo by simply adding e.g. --override-hostname=wsl2 to the kopia repository connect sftp command

Now in my Windows kopiaUI when showing all snapshots I see me as a user with either my Windows host name, or WSL2.

Thanks again @budy for the suggestion!