Cannot create S3 repository

Hi !

First of all, thanks for your soft, it looks really nice!

I’m trying to back up my computer on AWS S3. I followed the documentation to create a repository with the CLI :

kopia repository create s3 --bucket=test-kopia --access-key=*************** --secret-access-key=*************** --region=eu-west-1

But I get this :

ERROR can't connect to storage: unable to determine if bucket "test-kopia" exists: Access Denied.

We use role_arn with multiple accounts. We have one “master” account with our API key, then we use role_arn and source_profile to give access to other accounts.
Example :

[master]
aws_access_key_id = *********
aws_secret_access_key = *********
aws_region = eu-west-1
[dev]
role_arn = arn:aws:iam::*********:role/MonRole
source_profile = master
[prod]
source_profile = master
[tool]
source_profile = master

My bucket is located in tool account

What I am missing to backup my computer on this S3 bucket ?

Thanks

I’m using kopia with non-aws S3, and in that case it is very important to add the endpoint URL, but I don’t know if kopia will auto-use AWS endpoints if it is not given. See if you can add verbosity until you see where it tries to connect?

In my case, I often use s3cmd to test that URL, accesskey and secretkey work, it allows for very short config files if all I need to do is test that a third-party program can create buckets and upload data using only those three pieces of information.
aws-cli and other official AWS kits might have builtin assumptions that kopia might not have.

One last thing, this is the only time when you can control the hash,splitter and crypto algorithms, so run “kopia benchmark ( splitter , crypto ) --print-options” and see which ones are best/fastest for your particular computer and add them to the “kopia repository create s3 command. In my case it is " --block-hash=HMAC-SHA224 --encryption=AES256-GCM-HMAC-SHA256 --object-splitter=DYNAMIC-1M-BUZHASH” but it differs from machine to machine so making your own tests is probably best.