Limit upload speed as a policy

I am using Kopia UI, Win10 and Backblaze B2.

Is there any way currently to set a policy to limit/throttle the upload speed either globally or per snapshot? It would be really useful to do so, thanks for any insight on how to do this and consideration of it as a feature in the future.

repository connect b2 --bucket=BUCKET --key-id=KEY-ID --key=KEY [<flags>]                                                                                                                 
    Connect to repository in a B2 bucket                                                                                                                                                    

--bucket=BUCKET  Name of the B2 bucket                                                                                                                                                  
    --key-id=KEY-ID  Key ID (overrides B2_KEY_ID environment variable)                                                                                                                      
                     ($B2_KEY_ID)                                                                                                                                                           
    --key=KEY        Secret key (overrides B2_KEY environment variable)                                                                                                                     
                     ($B2_KEY)                                                                                                                                                              
    --prefix=PREFIX  Prefix to use for objects in the bucket                                                                                                                                
    --max-download-speed=BYTES_PER_SEC                                                                                                                                                      
                     Limit the download speed.                                                                                                                                              
    --max-upload-speed=BYTES_PER_SEC                                                                                                                                                        
                     Limit the upload speed.

Use kopia --help-long to get most of the options

Thanks for the response, this is helpful. Is there any way to configure this using Kopia UI?

Is there any way to configure this using Kopia UI?

I hope someone else would answer this question since I using only console kopia. AFAIK UI versions is simply wrappers based on Electron, on top of kopia server ... command, so basically you can use the same repository as far as you providing the same options

KopiaUI is simply not that powerful compared to the actual Kopia binary, which you can run from the CLI. KopiaUI has already come a long way in terms of features it provides, but it will never be able to offer all the possible features. If you need more than KopiaUI is able to offer, then consider to get your hands dirty and create some scripts that will tap into Kopias’ full potential.

Implementing new policy options here would make total sense. With feat(snapshots): support for controlling upload parallelism via policies by jkowalski · Pull Request #1850 · kopia/kopia · GitHub I recently added a new kind of policy specifically for Uploads, so this would be a nice addition there.

PRs are welcome, this should be too hard.

2 Likes

Appreciate the responses! Writing scripts for this is outside of my technical ability currently (a major reason I’m using Kopia UI), it looks possible given @jkowalski’s work and I think it would make a useful feature for end users.

On my search to tackle this I used CLI to connect to the s3 repo with the right flags (-max-upload-speed) on my Windows computer. This creates the right repository.config with"maxUploadSpeedBytesPerSecond" in it.
After that you can start kopiaUI which will show the connection.