Monitoring and alerting tool for Kopia

I discovered Kopia a few months ago and loved it, however there was one limitation that prevented me from switching over. I wanted to be proactively notified, by email, when something went wrong. I hoped it would be added to Kopia itself but seeing that it wasn’t I decided to write a small Python program to do exactly that. The program is designed to run on a schedule, and send an email report with all recent tasks or only with errors.

The program is creatively called kopia-mon and it has the following features:

• Send an email status report about all the tasks that executed since the last time the program ran.
  • Option to send the email only if there was an error.
  • Monitor for inactivity, to identify cases when the backups stopped running.
  • Support for multiple repositories.

Feel free to clone it from github and give it a try: GitHub - ekutner/kopia-mon

5 Likes

Exactly like something I’m looking for! I’ll try it out with my docker kopia install

Hello, this sounds great! Is it installed in the server or the client?

It was designed to run on the client because of of its features is to only alert on missed backups if there were actually changes on the filesystem that needed to be backed up. It may work on the server too if you have the kopia profile files there but I didn’t test it for that scenario. Except for the above mentioned feature it’s just running the kopia command line and parsing the output.