S3 Repository - Migrate and Connect

I have successfully migrated snapshots to an S3 Repository.

If I connect to the repository without setting a config filename I can interact Ok with all commands then disconnect.
If I connect to the repository and set a config filename ,then I cannot interact at all.

Error’s posted …

*ERROR open repository: repository is not connected. See Repositories | Kopia

ERROR unable to disconnect from repository: error loading config file: open /home/xxxx/.config/kopia/repository.config: no such file or directory

Nobody can see your screen.

Migrated from where? Can you be more specific?

Please post kopia version, commands and their output - then maybe somebody can help.

Note: I can interact fine via the Webserver portal using the named config file.

Home Lab - moving snapshots locally from hard drive to a local S3 Minio Server.

Version from WebServer
Version v0.17.0 89c8eb47af2e1d5c1d14fe299a0cf7eaac095abf kopia/htmlui c5ffeee0c77cc4bd850dd5fb3b805315c476089d built on Fri Apr 5 04:07:17 UTC 2024 fv-az700-561

kopia repo connect s3 --access-key “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx” --secret-access-key “xxxxxxxxxxxxx” --bucket appdata --endpoint “192.168.2.250:9000” --disable-tls --config-file=appdata.config
Enter password to open repository:

Connected to repository.

bobc@minio:~/.config/kopia$ kopia maintenance run --full --safety=none
ERROR open repository: repository is not connected. See Repositories | Kopia

bobc@minio:~/.config/kopia$ kopia repository disconnect
ERROR unable to disconnect from repository: error loading config file: open /home/bobc/.config/kopia/repository.config: no such file or directory

When you connect you set your custom config name

but later you let kopia use default name and location - and obviously it does not exist

Either always (for all kopia commands) provide your custom config with --config-file flag or use defaults when connecting (do not use --config-file).

Thanks again - All sorted

1 Like

BTW this is also how you can connect to multiple repos at the same time. Use --config-file (for connect and other commands) with different file names for different repos.

A quick question on storage - how can I maximize data capacity using 4 x 3tb drives.
I note that the std install is mirroring the data across all drives.
Ideally I would like to have max storage and if required just one parity drive.

Sorry ignore post - wrong forum…!!!

Is there a cmd line to update existing snapshot - similar to the Kopia-ui “Snapshot Now”??

BTW this is not what Snapshot Now does - it does not update any existing snapshots but create a new one.

As for cmd - have you bothered to read documentation?

I suggest you start with Getting Started Guide | Kopia to get grasp on kopia concept and basic commands. You can even watch video with summary.

More details on other docs sections including cmd references.

I understand the principles of snapshots , poor choice of words in my case.

I was looking for a cmd to take a snapshot referencing a config file but it seems this is not an option. eg “kopia snapshot create --config-file XXXXXXX”

I currently have before/after scripts using sshfs to mount snapshot targets which KopiaUI handles well but the task of starting a Kopia Server for each Repository is cumbersome on the headless backup server.

I have to admit I do not understand. Maybe not enough coffee:)

With cmd you can do all and more than UI.

I’ve been running “kopia snapshot create --config-file XXXXXXX” for ages without any issue as I have multiple repositories I am backing up to. I use before/after snapshot actions to handle filesystem snapshots.

I’m obviously missing something here as the following error occurs at my end…

===================================================
Connected to repository.

NOTICE: Kopia will check for updates on GitHub every 7 days, starting 24 hours after first use.
To disable this behavior, set environment variable KOPIA_CHECK_FOR_UPDATES=false
Alternatively you can remove the file “/home/bobc/.config/kopia/music.config.update-info.json”.

bobc@minio:~$ kopia snapshot create --config-file=music.config
ERROR no snapshot sources

My music.config file does not reference any sources to snapshot , just the std storage, caching & user details.