What runs on client and what runs on repository server?

I have a fairly ancient little NAS with an atom processor and 2G of RAM. I was wanting to stick a repository server on it but was wonder, what all does the repository server do? I assume all encryption/hashing/compression happens client side and the repository server just keeps track of the blocks it stores?

Also gotta say having come from urbackup/veeam the repository server docs really really need some help.

From my experience, the client does all the hashing work etc. I am running a repository server on my NAS (celeron 1.6 ghz) with 8 gb ram and it is working pretty good. It is used by three clients.

Considering the documentation, this project indeed need some help. As it is run by a friendly community, you are free to add to the documentation where neccessary :slight_smile:

Just create a pull request. The docs are located within the kopia github repository. If you have questions on how to change the documentation, feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Thanks, yeah I’d like to help update docs but first I have to figure out what the heck I’m doing :smiley:

When I’m connecting to a Kopia repo server I am asked the user password (as specified in the htpasswd file).
If the client doesn’t provide the repository key but just the user password I think the encryption takes place in the server and not the client.
Is this the case?

Also, when the client connects the prompt asks “Enter password to open repository”, which is confusing because what it really wants is the user password.