Very slow snapshot lead to issue with my drive

Hello,

I started to use KopiaUI this week. I do a local snapshot but it takes ages to backup around 200 GB, so I stop it. However, after that. I makes some folder inacessible like the download folder and I cannot play one of my games. Fortunately, those issues disappear when I restart and I can resume my backup by doing another snapshot, but it has been around 12 hours and I am only at 60%.

I think part of the issue is that my SSD is about to die, but it seems that there is a bug in with KopiaUI and I don’t want to confirm that as I planned to backup another where my OS is.

Here is an update. I could complete a snapshot after 10 attempts along with 3 other complete snapshots the same day (why tough?). After that, I could access my drive fully. Thus, it seems that there is something wrong with the button to stop the snapshot that mess with the drive. What happens during a snapshot that make parts of the drive inaccessible if I interrupt it?

I can’t think of a way Kopia would “mess” with your drive. Sure, Kopia may put quite a load on a drive - especially, when it runs a first-time snapshot and has to ingest all the data. But if the drive is otherwise healthy, this wouldn’t lead to any object becoming inaccessible.

What you should do is to take a close look at your drive and to check an any error message regardig it’s operation. Also, I think stopping a running snapshot will at least try to completely read the current file, before wrapping up the blob/indexes on the repo. If your drive has a hard time getting that completed, you night have to give it some time.

Also note, that you can always look at the running task in KopiaUI, where any error would show up…